Monday, July 28, 2008

Honey Roasted Zucchini

Our zucchini are finally big enough to pick. One could have been picked last week while we were away, as is always the case with zucchini, it seems.
I prepared my favorite zucchini recipe tonight for dinner and took pictures as promised. Served alongside fresh green beans from the garden-it was wonderfully yummy. Ask Kathy how good this stuff is-when I shared the recipe with her a couple years ago, she became highly addicted to the stuff. It’s that good.

The original recipe can be found in “new kitchen garden” by Adam Caplin with recipes by Celia Brooks Brown. As I recall, it’s a beautiful book (I checked it out from our library).

You start by cutting the zucchini into long, chunky strips. I use as much zucchini as I can fit on my baking sheet(s). And yes, I made two pans of it for my family of four. We, too, are hopelessly addicted to this stuff.
I toss it with about 1 Tablespoon olive oil and the equivalent of 2 cloves garlic. Or more. Lots more.
Spread it out nicely on the (sprayed) baking sheet. This usually requires that I re-distribute the garlic onto the zucchini. Otherwise, lots of it just stays in the pan. It's still good, of course...I just like it on the zucchini.
Drizzle with about 2 T. honey, then sprinkle about 4 ounces of crumbled feta over the zucchini.

Bake at 350º, or 400º, or 425º until golden brown. The original recipe says 425º for 20-30 minutes.

Hmm, two of my pictures are gone. That's odd.

Here's how I make this-as always, it is adapted from the recipe I discovered in the book.

Honey-Roasted Zucchini with Feta

1 1/2 pounds zucchini, whole -- cut into chunky strips
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 ounces feta cheese -- coarsely crumbled
2 tablespoons honey
freshly ground black pepper (I always forget the pepper!)

Put the zucchini in a large ovenproof dish in a single layer. Add the garlic and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Using your hands, toss the zucchini until they are evenly coated with the garlic and oil. Spread out the zucchini evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the feta cheese over them and drizzle on the honey and pepper. The saltiness of the feta means that no extra salt is needed. Roast in a preheated oven at 425 F. for 20-30 minutes until deep golden all over. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.

I am participating in Ultimate Recipe Swap taking place at www.LifeasMOM.com

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I can attest to how good this is, I eat this for breakfast,yeah! And lunch and dinner. I just bought a new container of Feta yesterday so I could have this and I didnt even know Karen was going to blog it. Try this. It will change your life. No really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. I have never tried the combination of feta and zuch. but I bet it would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for pointing this recipe out to me, Karen! I look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!