Friday, November 5, 2010

Driving advice

When the girls stay with Clarence's parents, Julianne tends to hang with Grandma while Allison goes outside and tags along with Grandpa. Consequently, Allison has done a little more tractor driving than Julianne and, being the more "experienced" driver, has been sharing bits of advice with Julianne since driver's training started.


The following are Allison's words of advice:

"Remember, Julianne, you won't go into the ditch if you don't steer into the ditch."

"Remember, Julianne, don't pull a U-turn on a one-way street."

"Remember, Julianne, when you want to back up, you've gotta put it in reverse."

Others have been getting in on the action, too.
One of our friends, upon hearing stories of Julianne's braking style, said "Oh, you're more of an aircraft carrier pilot, not a driver. Next time, just tell your instructor 'The tail hook caught!' when you use your aircraft brakes."

I'm confident that many of you have valuable advice you could offer as well. Feel free to share it in the comments and I'll make sure to pass it along to her.

5 comments:

  1. Drive with your dad. Our dads are the more "care-free" types in our families and our moms are the more "oh my gosh i'm getting in the car with a brand new driver and we might die" types. I love them both, but trust me on this one Julianne. It's a lot easier to learn your driving lessons when you don't have to worry about gasping and loud blurting. Much less nerve-wracking. :) Then again, once you get your permit, you could always go driving with me! I'm over 21! I've always wanted to be someone's driving buddy! Ooh pick me pick me! :) (yes, I'm being serious. We ARE going driving together!)

    -- Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advice to Julianne...

    Relax and enjoy it!

    I have taught three of my kids to drive...I do the driving instruction, and Tim does the parallel parking instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm a little put out by the apartment girls comment... although my prayer as I got in the car was always simply, Help me God! Ok, she might be right, dads might be the better choice:>)
    You can do it Juju, just stay on your side of the road, (and we'll see how much Allison really knows when it's her turn!) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember: None of the vehicles your parents currently own have a clutch. That left foot should be on the floor unless you need that tailhook (don't ask how I know this!). I'm sure you'll do fine, niece!

    Uncle Earl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!