Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Camp season

Julianne decided a few years ago that kid's camp wasn't for her. When Allison leaves for horse camp, Julianne basks in being an only child for a few days and has a list of things she wants to do to make our time without Allison special.

Allison, however, is not forgotten while she's gone. We try to send her emails every day to let her know we miss her and keep her up to date on what's happening here.

A couple years ago, Julianne was inspired to write Allison a message in the form of an epistle, after doing Galatians as part of their quiz material for the year. Last year, when they studied Luke, she styled her note after that. This year, of course, is modeled after I Corinthians. She is generously allowing me to share this year's letter with all of you. Enjoy!


Julianne, a follower of Christ Jesus and your sister by the will of God, and our parents Clarence and Karen.


To Allison at horse camp.


Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.


I always thank God for you when you are away, for I realize how helpful you are to us. For you have been made helpful in every way- in all your sisterly, auntie, and daughterly duties- because... well, I'm not sure why. But I am thankful for it. God, who has called you into fellowship with his son, Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.
I appeal to you, sister, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you are not jealous of me when I tell you what I had for breakfast. My sister, some from Brazil came to our church for a potluck. What I mean is this: One brings tuna salad, one brings cinnamon rolls, one brings homemade salsa with lots of cilantro, and one brings honey-roasted zucchini with feta and blueberry buckle. (There was actually more food than that, dear sister, but you understand.) Are there any leftover cinnamon rolls? Was the salsa good? Was there onions in the tuna salad?
(No, yes, and I don't know. I didn't have any tuna salad. You will have to ask our father.) I am thankful that there was some blueberry buckle left, so that I could have it for breakfast.
Where is the wise guy? He's at work, his vacation doesn't start until Monday. Where is the scholar? She's at horse camp. Where is the philosopher of this age? I don't know, I haven't talked to them lately.
Sister, think of places the cat would sleep before you left. Not many were on the ground, not many were in my room, and not many was he always sleeping in. But the emperor chose the sleeping bag instead of a pillow, the emperor chose a pink blanket over your rug. He chose what was not there Saturday and is not there today, to sleep on, so that he could be petted and cuddled by Leta. It is because of this that he is upset with me, who rolled up the sleeping bag, to take it to camp.
When I came to you, sister, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I talked to you about horse camp. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you that would make your counselor want to send me away. (What that would be, I don't know.) I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My conversation and my questions were not with wise and persuasive words, but coming from my own head, so that you would not be embarrassed by me in front of your friends.
However, as I write:
No eye has seen,
no ear has heard, (Although, the corn is standing back up in our garden in order to listen.)
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him by the hands of the people at Victoria's,
but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.


I am sure that you search all the food, even the deep dish of salad. For who knows where a Gordon Food Service tomato product might be lurking? In the same way, no one knows what they will serve for food at camp.
Therefore, my sister, stand firm in the barn. Let nothing move you. Always drink lots of water, because you know that they do not give you any other liquids and you do not want to get dehydrated.
My love to you in Christ Jesus. Amen.

7 comments:

  1. This is soooooo great! I laughed out loud and now Chelsea wants to read it too. Very creative. Very creative, indeed.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Julianne, you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, she is a very creative writer! That was good.
    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! That's my girl! I love it Juju, you should be doing creative writing, and I love your sense of humor:>)

    XO
    AK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever! What a creative way to use your biblical knowledge Julianne!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!