Sunday, November 15, 2009

Traditions

My girls learned when they were little that if they uttered the words "But Mom, it's tradition!", I often succumbed to whatever it was they wanted at the moment. Needless to say, when something comes along that they really like, it quickly becomes "tradition" in their minds.

When Clarence goes deer hunting each year, we girls have a few traditions to uphold. We rent a movie or two (because Clarence never wants to watch movies), I buy eggnog for them, and I make biscotti. Yeah, I know that's a bizarre combination but somehow those are the things that carry over from one year to the next. I don't remember what got us started on the biscotti but it's a tradition they won't let me forget.


Lemony Almond Biscotti

(One trick I learned somewhere is to stand the biscotti up as pictured above for the second baking. It saves turning them halfway through the baking time.)


I didn't remember to buy eggnog yet but we watched our movie this afternoon and I made biscotti this evening. And those pumpkin chocolate chip waffles I made for lunch today? I think they're destined to become a tradition.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip waffles? YUM! Maybe I should just leave your blog up... ;)

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me laugh! My girls play the "tradition" card all the time too. If we dont do everything the same way it's a catastrophe! I tried to put some old gold glass candle holders in the garage sale this summer and Vicky said, Mom! Those are the Thanksgiving candle holders! You can't get rid of those! Sheesh, I'm stuck with them forever:>) The biscotti and waffles sound so good, maybe the new tradition should be that Aunt Kathy joins you:>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me!

    We love our traditions around here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha yes, mom and dad make fun of us during the holidays anytime we want to do something new *and* special because they're sure we'll decide it's "tradition" after doing it once. Ok, so it's happened a few times, but come on! New traditions are fun! They have to get invented somehow! lol I'm excited to see all of you next week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!