Monday, November 30, 2009

Cream-Filled Confetti Cookies

I've been planning, for a few years now, to convert all my recipe cards to 4x6 inch cards. I bought a nice, new box and some pretty recipe cards but I've rewritten only a few recipes in all that time.

It's an overwhelming task; my small box is packed tightly with cards. I find I'm more likely to copy an old recipe into MasterCook than I am to copy it to the new, larger cards.



When Allison and I got ready to make cookies Sunday afternoon, I knew the time had come to copy at least one recipe onto a new card. Looking at the old card, you might think I've had it a long time or that I'm a messy cook. Yes, and yes. I have those cool plastic sleeves designed to keep your cards clean but obviously, they came too late to save this one.



One down, only 32,593 left.



Cream-Filled Confetti Cookies


1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup candy sprinkles
FILLING
3/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg (see note)
food coloring


In large bowl, combine sugar, 1/2 cup butter, shortening, vanilla and eggs; beat well. Add flour, baking powder, & salt, mix well. Stir in candy sprinkles. Cover dough, refrigerate at least 1 hour for easier handling.

Heat oven to 400ยบ F. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8" thickness. Cut with 2 1/2 " cookie cutter. Place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 5-7 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute, remove, cool completely.

In medium bowl, beat 3/4 cup butter until softened. Gradually add sugar, blend well. Add vanilla and egg, beat until light and fluffy. Add coloring, blend well. Spread 1 heaping teaspoon of filling between 2 cookies. Store filled cookies in refrigerator.
Note: I get a little queasy at the idea of raw egg in the filling so I use powdered egg. The flavor wouldn't be the same without the egg so I had to either find an alternative or buck up and eat raw egg. The powdered egg gives a great result, without any queasiness. Also, we skipped the food coloring this time.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Oh come on Karen, a little raw egg never hurt anyone....well, ok, maybe a few people, but where's your sense of adventure? :>)Can you pass me some cookies please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look great! I am a little more hungry now!! hee hee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!