Monday, October 13, 2008

Last minute details

Our homeschool co-op meets once a month. We're a small group of five families and we have such a great time together.

We are a literature-based group so each month the moms choose a book and plan activities based on what we're reading that month.

This month's book is "How to Eat Fried Worms" by Thomas Rockwell. I must admit that this book isn't typical of what we usually choose but it gives us an opportunity to learn something about worms.



One of the assignments the kids have is to make a worm out of the medium of their choice. Allison's choice is a mixture of peanut butter and marshmallow creme. Julianne crocheted hers and I haven't taken any pictures of it. Maybe tomorrow.



The girls also had to interview people about their favorite and least favorite foods and create graphs of the information they compiled. They had to learn some unique and/or interesting facts about worms to share with everyone else. Allison hopes to gross everyone out by eating her "worm" after presenting her facts.

The last assignment was to create worm recipes to share with the group. I found it interesting that they both used fish recipes from the crock pot lady (that I've prepared recently) and simply substituted worms for the fish. Do you think there's some sort of significance I'm missing here? I know Allison isn't terribly fond of fish, but Julianne actually likes fish. Hmmm.

I need to go make some pudding. I'm bringing the snack tomorrow and another mom suggested dirt cake. I have no better ideas-c'mon, we're talking worms here-so I need to get it finished.

I'm not doing the flower pot thing though. I'm going to put the pudding in a cake pan, spread the oreos over top, then lay the gummi worms on the cookie crumbs. Showcase those worms in all their glory. (And make them easy to pick out) ;-)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Peanut butter and marshmallow cream sound pretty good. Unfortunatley, those worms look disturbingly real:>{

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, tell me you didn't put worms in the crock pot! I do not want that recipe!!! Don't send it, I won't read it!!! No way!!!

    But...the dirt cake I love!! Yum! I have a great recipe for this and now I want some!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...so I'm a bit slow...That is exactly what we had...with the oreos! ha

    You are so good!

    ~p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!