Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pumpkin cranberry scones with pumpkin butter

Life as Mom is having a pumpkin recipe swap this week. I decided to share a recipe I got from a homeschooling message board a couple years ago. I don't know who posted it there but it is really good. I, of course, sometimes make changes to the original recipe. Those are listed under the last picture, if you are interested.




Pumpkin Cranberry Scones

2 cups self-rising flour (or all purpose flour + 1 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. salt)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 tsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. allspice, & 1 tsp. cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
1/3 cup buttermilk, or sour milk (~1/2 tsp. vinegar to 1/3 c. milk)
1/2 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup dried cranberries


1. Mix together flour, sugar, spices, baking powder (if using), baking soda, and salt (if using) in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and cut into the flour. Mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Mix in dried cranberries. In a separate bowl mix together the pumpkin, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and mix until the dough comes together (don't overmix).
2. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead gently 3-4 times, and then shape/pat dough in a circle about 1 1/4-inches thick. Slice in half, and then cut each half into four equal pie-shaped wedges. Brush with egg glaze (1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp. milk.), and sprinkle with mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
3. Bake on a cookie sheet at 375ยบ for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 8 scones. Serve warm with Pumpkin Spice Butter.

Pumpkin Spice Butter


1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice


Combine all and mix until creamy.



My changes to the scones:

I used whole-wheat pastry flour for half of the all-purpose flour this time. I don't think I can tell a difference-certainly not a negative difference.
I always omit the salt. We don't miss it.
I replaced half of the butter with yogurt to cut the fat content. I may be sorry tomorrow (doing that tends to make baked goods drier the next day) but I imagine my family will happily eat them for breakfast anyhow. Especially with the pumpkin butter to put on them.
I also have never, ever remembered to do the egg wash/cinnamon/sugar thing. That's why they look all flour-y in my picture. If you want me to use an egg wash and sprinkle it, you've gotta list that stuff in the ingredients. Once I've used all the listed ingredients, I tend to quit reading the instructions or something.


My changes to the pumpkin butter:

I omit the butter.

Shocking, I know, but I didn't want a butter butter. I wanted a pumpkin butter. Like apple butter, only with pumpkin. Never mind. Make it however sounds good to you. ;-)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike sis, I baked pumpkin bread last night:>)
    Those scones look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum!! My daughter has been wanting to make scones!! We will make this recipe. I am printing it out!!

    I have Pumpkin Pancakes on the menu for next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!