This weekend the topic at Today's Housewife is comfort food.
I find this recipe particularly comforting because I never make it. This is one of Clarence's specialties. He used to cook every Friday night when I worked and got home late. He found this on the Jiffy baking mix box.
He makes gravy, too, from beef broth thickened with flour or cornstarch. Isn't "smothered in gravy" one of the main characteristics of comfort food?
1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1 medium onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups biscuit mix
1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 400. Grease baking sheet.
2. In large skillet brown hamburger. Add onion, salt and pepper. Cook until onion is tender; drain any excess fat.
3. Blend baking mix and milk to soft dough.
4. Turn onto lightly floured surface and roll into rectangle 9" x12". Cover with meat mixture. Roll as for jelly roll. Place on prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Slash top several times.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes. Serve with gravy, tomato or mushroom sauce.
Sadly, since I'm now a SAHM, he doesn't cook much anymore. Maybe I can get him to make this once cold weather sets in for good.