Thursday, August 28, 2008

Peach Butter



The last of the peaches are processed. Well, except for the couple that got nasty, rotten spots on them. The chickens will be processing those.

Julianne inventoried my fruit from last year and found I had 26 quarts and 10 pints of peaches left. Adding the seven quarts I canned the other day seemed like enough. Of course, that's because Mom and my best friend have both offered me pears-so I'm planning to serve more pears than peaches this winter. Vanilla pears, in fact, if I can figure out how much vanilla to put in the jars. Wouldn't it have been kind to my future self if I had noted the amount I added last year in my book ?

But I digress. This is about the peaches.

Peach butter.

Nectar in a jar. (Especially if you don't get it thick enough and end up deciding it will make great pancake syrup.)

Yeah, that how my first (double) batch ended up. I know, I know, you aren't supposed to double jelly/jam recipes. Why is that, I wondered? Hmm, perhaps because they don't turn out correctly. So, yesterday and today, I made single batches of peach butter and canned it. You mix peach pulp and sugar, heat it and stir until thickened. And stir. And stir. And stir. It's supposed to take about 30 minutes. They lied.

I ended up with 18 jars of peach butter. Of course, I also have three pint jars, one 8 oz., and nine 12 oz. jars of peach syrup.

At least it was a tasty mistake.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Hey sis, when you make the vanilla pears I am volunteering to be a teste tester. Strictly in the interest of helping you decide how much vanilla to add mind you. Yeah, I know, it's a big sacrifice but for you, I'm willing to help out:>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peach butter sounds fantastic! I need to get more peaches and make jam. Love, love, love it on toast in the winter. I also think I am going to can peaches this year as well.

    I need to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    Thanks for de-lurking on my blog today! It's always great to "meet" readers.

    Your peach preserves look wonderful in any form! I adore pears, and the vanilla pears sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your peach butter sounds delicious and it's so pretty, too!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!