Thursday, August 7, 2008

Wallpaper crafts

This is a picture of a cheese box I decorated last year using wallpaper. We had purchased some wallpaper sample books for a couple bucks each, thinking that Julianne could use some of the paper for scrapbooking. It occured to me later that we had no idea if the paper would be acid-free or not...and I figured most likely not.
So the challenge became to find uses for our purchase. I spied this cheese box one day when I was out with Mom and decided to try covering it to use as a gift box. Our pastor's wife is the girls' piano teacher and she likes lighthouses so this is what I ended up with. I painted the blue onto the trim, then covered the rest with wallpaper. We put her Christmas gift in it-even though it doesn't look Christmas-y. I was really happy with how it turned out.
On my last trip to Goodwill, I found this very plain, white tin. This morning I decided to see what I could find to decorate it a bit. We are heading to a surprise sweet 16 party tomorrow and I'm hoping we can use this to hold the gift. Not that I've got a gift yet, mind you. The girls have spent the last two nights with Grandpa and Grandma and when I tried shopping for the gift alone, I came up empty. The birthday girl likes purple so that influenced my choice of paper.

We have used a few bits of the wallpaper to embellish cards, too. Maybe the girls will want to make a coordinating card to go with the tin?

Now to find a gift...sigh...other than cash, what do you get a 16 year old girl these days?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Bath & Bodyworks junk? A book? A complete manicure?pedicure in a box? Sixteen is a tough age unless you know what they love, if they love anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?!?! KEEKA ALLOWS CRAFTS (INCLUDING PAINT) IN HER HOUSE NOW?!?!? NO WAY. That's awesome! Craftiness rocks! ;) Love you guys!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!