Thursday, August 21, 2008

Recipe Swap

Kama from Today's Housewife left a comment on this post to let me know that they are hosting a swap of chicken recipes. I originally posted this recipe Thursday for LifeasMom's swap, but it works for a chicken recipe exchange, too.

LifeasMom is hosting a recipe swap today of dishes that you share with others-what you make when you need to deliver a meal to friends.

I always struggle with what to make in those situations so I'm happy to share a recipe, but I'm thrilled at the idea of checking out what everyone else makes. New ideas are always a good thing!

I shy away from pasta dishes when I cook for another family. Mostly, because I figure they'll get lots of pasta dishes. I must say, though, that when my mom was ill and I spent so much time gone from home to help her, a family at church brought us some lasagna. It was divine-far better than what I normally make. We appreciated that lasagna so much and it was a huge pan that fed us for several meals. What a blessing it was. Still, I tend to make non-pasta dishes and this one is no exception.

This dish is easy to prepare ahead of time and deliver either fully cooked or oven-ready. I usually make two pans-one for delivery, one for my family. It's a slight adaptation of an old DelMonte recipe my mom used to make.

Hawaiian Chicken

1 cup onion -- chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
14 ounces ketchup
2 cups pineapple juice
OR
15 ounces crushed pineapple in juice (I usually use the pineapple rather than the juice-I like the chunkiness of it in the sauce.)
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 whole fryer chickens -- cut up (3 lb. each) ( I use boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces.)

Saute onion in butter or margarine; stir in flour. Add ketchup, pineapple juice or crushed pineapple, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, pepper and cloves. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.

Place chicken in two 3-quart casseroles; pour half of sauce into each casserole. Bake at 350 F., 1-1 1/2 hours or until done.

I often make rice pilaf to take along, salad, and some sort of dessert. Homemade bread, too, if I've been baking.

I'm anxious to see what everyone else contributes to the swap.

5 comments:

  1. Hey sis! I wanted to leave a tip that if you pick up those pyrex pie plates and casserole dishes at garage sales (we pay 50 cents each for them) they make superior presentation of meals when you are making a meal for someone. At that price they are cheaper than aluminum and they make it easier to reheat the meal you bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good!! I'll have to try it (minus the onion because my husband won't eat it even if it's cooked)! We are having a recipe (chicken) exchange at our blog (Today's Housewife) as well. I found you from Life as Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!