Saturday, August 30, 2008

Please pass the...

Edited to include this in LifeasMom's Mexican Food Recipe Swap.

Today's housewife hosts a recipe swap each weekend and this weekend it's Tex-Mex, one of my favorite types of food. This oughta be fun!

I picked up this recipe from a Rosarita's black bean refrieds can a few years ago. When we eat Mexican in restaurants, I usually order beef rather than chicken because the chicken dishes often disappoint me compared to the beef. This recipe, however, is fantastic with chicken.

As a bonus, I'll include the guacamole recipe I got from a co-worker years ago. I wasn't sure if I really liked guacamole until I had Rachel's. It's easy and always tastes great.


Baked Chimmies

2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
16 ounces salsa, your choice of heat level
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast halves, shredded
16 ounces refried beans
10 flour tortillas


1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in large skillet; cook onion until tender. Stir in salsa, chili powder, cumin and cinnamon. Stir in shredded chicken.
3. Spoon about 1/4 cup of beans across the center of each tortilla. Top with about 1/2 cup of chicken mixture. Fold one end of tortilla up about 1-inch over mixture, fold right and left sides over folded end, overlapping. Roll up. Secure with wooden picks, if necessary. Brush chimmies with remaining oil.
4. Bake 20 minutes until golden brown, turning and basting often. Serve with sour cream and guacamole, if desired.

Rachel's Guacamole

4 ripe avocados
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 lemon (don't cut it yet!)
2 heaping tablespoons sour cream

Mash the avocado, mix in the onion. Roll lemon on counter and squeeze juice from half of it over the mixture. Stir in the sour cream.

(My notes: Grab a tortilla chip and scoop some out. As the chef, you need to try it before serving. Just be sure to walk away before chips and guacamole becomes your dinner, instead of having it to serve with your chimmies.)

5 comments:

  1. I've never put sour cream in my guacamole. I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For guacamole, I just put an avacado (or however many) plus Pace Picante Sauce to taste with salt and pepper. It's pretty yummy as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those looks like yummy recipes! I love guacomole!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good. I usually fry mine so I'm excited to try baking them instead!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!