Friday, August 22, 2008

Sunshine in a jar

I managed to do one canner-full of peaches today. I don't get them very pretty, like you'd see at a county fair, but they sure are yummier than any canned peaches I've ever bought. I was pretty pleased to think that these peaches cost about half of the best sale price I usually get at the grocery store for fresh peaches. That doesn't seem too bad to me. They taste delicious, too-a nice bonus, for sure.


I still need to decide if I'll try to get more peaches so I can make some preserves and/or peach butter. I never know how many to get because I don't want them to go bad if I'm busy, yet I want to put up as much as possible. Decisions, decisions.

Why is it that home canned peaches are so superior to purchased ones?
Is it the fact that you can them at the peak of ripeness vs. the manufacturers perhaps process them when still a little green?
Is it the jars vs. the tin cans?
I don't know the reason, but I do know they are worth the work to our family.
Yum!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!